Wednesday, October 24, 2007

More lamb recipes...

On Friday I pulled out what was labelled "Lamb Roast" and put it in the refrigerator to defrost for Sunday dinner. On Saturday, I actually looked at the "lamb roast" for the first time because I was going to put it in the crockpot to cook on Sunday while we were at church. It was a bit fatty and I noticed it had two bones in it. So, I decided to make a stew. DH (who is actually as much Irish as I am Greek he just doesn't really know anything about being Irish) asked that I make an Irish Lamb Stew which is what I did. It was very yummy, very hearty. Here is the recipe (and it is modified for those who eat a gluten free diet).

Irish Lamb Stew
3 - 4 lbs. lamb cut in 1 1/2" cubes
2 T. butter
1 T vegetable oil
2 cups water
1 cup chicken broth
*** note: I used 1 cup water and 2 cups homemade vegetable broth from the freezer***
1 to 2 t. salt or to taste
1/4 t. thyme
1/4 t. pepper
2 cloves garlic minced
4 medium potatoes peeled and quartered
8 sm. white onions (ok, I didn't have any white onions so I used one large yellow onion)
1 package frozen peas (I used petite peas)
8 oz. fresh mushrooms (I don't like mushrooms so I just didn't put mushrooms in the stew)
1 cup milk
1/3 cup flour (instead of flour I use gluten free all purpose baking mix)

Over medium heat, brown lamb in butter and oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven. Add water, broth, and seasonings; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove surface fat. Add potatoes and onion; simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Add peas and simmer for 5 minutes. Combine milk and flour; stir until smooth. Add to simmering stew and simmer for about 1 minute or until thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings.

***Note: I threw the lamb bones in with the water, broth, and seasonings just to add more flavor.

No comments: