Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Greek Potato Casserole and some suggestions for Shrimp Cakes...

For the shrimp cakes... I believe that you could  probably do without the egg.  Process the ingredients in your food processor and then transfer to a bowl.  Add the almond flour (or, if you are not gluten free use regular flour) and then refrigerate overnight.  I refrigerated for 30 minutes and it wasn't set enough to make "patties".  So I heated up my oil (I used coconut oil but you could use any oil that you like- you don't need to use grapeseed oil like in the recipe) and dropped large spoonfuls into the heated oil to fry.  It worked for me but I would like to make it the day before and refrigerate overnight and see how that turns out.

Tonight's dinner is an old favorite,

Greek Potato Casserole.
2 cups canned tomatoes

½ cup olive or vegetable oil
2 onions thinly sliced
1 clove garlic crushed
4 Tbs. parsley chopped
1 Tbs. mint chopped (I use dried mint in the winter)
1 ½ tsp salt
¼ tsp. pepper
4-6 large potatoes thinly sliced
2 peppers cut in 2 in. pieces
1-2 zucchini and or summer squash thinly sliced

Mash tomatoes with a fork; combine with oil, onions, garlic, parsley, mint, salt, and pepper. In a greased 8x12 baking dish, alternate layers of tomato mixture, potatoes, peppers, and squash, ending with tomato. Bake covered in oven at 350 for 45 minutes. Uncover; cook until vegetables are tender.

Honestly, I do not layer this.  I actually just put everything in my largest bowl, mix together (so everything is well coated with the tomatoes and oil and spices) and then "dump" it in a baking dish, cover, and put in the oven. 

No comments: