Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Fr. Seraphim Rose, Parish Council, and Prayer Request...

"...And don't join a parish council anywhere. Avoid parish politics like the plague!" Fr. Seraphim Rose (I read that yesterday in the book Father Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works)

We had parish council elections last Sunday. My DH, Paul, was nominated and, this year, he felt that he did not have a valid excuse to not run (last year he was nominated and declined because he was working almost full time and going to school full time). Needless to say, Paul is now a member of the St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church parish Council. I dedicate the Fr. Seraphim quotation to you, my darling husband (from your lovely wife:)

Those of you that have the privilege of knowing my husband may have noticed that he is a bit shy. So I am surprised that he is now on parish council. Not that only wild and crazy outgoing people are on parish council, it just seems that (and remember, I have grown up in a couple of different GREEK Orthodox parishes) the schmoozier you are, the more likely you are to be on parish council (just my humble opinion). I was once approached, years ago, to have my name on the ballot. I wanted to decline because I was a full time grad student and I was working full time, but the person informed me that I didn't have to worry, I wouldn't win (wink wink, nudge nudge). I was appalled. Needless to say, I did decline. This did not happen at the parish we currently attend (St. John's was but a twinkle in Metropolitan Anthony's eye). Anyway, I am of the opinion that my husband is, of course amazing and wonderful and I am sure he will be a great asset to the group (he doesn't read my blog so I can say these great things about him).

This leads me to our prayer request. We currently live a 30 minute drive (on a a good day) from St. John's. Where we live is less expensive than where the church is located. We have been looking for a home to buy (we live in a home that my parent's own... can't beat the rent:) and we were going to stay here, in Vancouver. But, after much prayer, thought, and discussions with our spiritual father (and with Paul having to go to meetings at church) we are looking in the Beaverton/Hillsboro area. We are praying that God will find a way to keep me at home (with Pavlos) and that we can make ends meet only on Paul's salary. It will be difficult. Please pray for us! Thank you...

8 comments:

Karl said...

Congrats to Paul! Somebody threatened to nominate me and I told them I'll excommunicate myself before I accept that task! :)

Christina said...

OOHHH, I know who I am going to nominate next year:) Just kidding, You have a lot on your plate right now...

Anonymous said...

Hi Christina,
I live north of Battle Ground and drive to St. Nic's in SW Portland. It's about 50 minutes on Sunday AM.

Did you ever dream there would be an Orthodox church in Clark County?

Anonymous said...

Ooopps! Meant to sign my name...

Julie

Christina said...

Thanks for the post, Julie and God bless you and your commute to church! I have lived in Vancouver most of my life. I grew up attending Holy Trinity, back before the 205 bridge even existed. I have always had long commutes to church, I guess:). My dad was part of a committee to start a Greek Church in Vancouver, but no one else here wanted to do it. And so it became St. John the Baptist in Beaverton.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reply!
Do you think there is a chance...if an Orthodox church/mission came to Clark County, that locals from any of the parishes in Ptld would choose to attend the Clark County church even if it wasn't the same as their Ptld. church. For example, would you go to an OCA mission?

On my optimistic days, I think of friends/family who would love Orthodoxy if they just knew...and we would fill a church in N. Clark County. On bad days, I'm not even sure I can make the adjustment. :) (I'm from an evangelical background)

And God has blessed your family for the years of commuting! That is encouraging to me.
-Julie

Christina said...

A church in Clark County... hmmm. See the problem is that most of the people in Vancouver who are already established at churches in Portland do not want to break away from those communities. Fr. David and Fr. Kevin from Annunciation used to have Vesper's once a month in Vancouver. Not many people would come. My husband and I, sometimes my parents, and a few others that would randomly show up. It was a bit disheartening. If there ever was going to be an Orthodox community in Vancouver, it would have to be a mission community with the goal of bringing Orthodoxy to the people here who are not already Orthodox. My dad would probably support it:)

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm enjoying this little exchange. Somehow it encourages me. :) Like I mentioned...it would be wonderful to bring all the people I care about to Orthodoxy. I think many would find the experience of God they are looking for. But the reality is even my husband is struggling to understand my shift in belief. Even to myself that shift seems like a miracle.

When I was pregnant with my 1st child, I worried about having an 18 yr old. I can get ahead of myself. :) I really shouldn't be dreaming about a mission in Clark County before I'm even Orthodox.

Thanks for the chat.
Julie