Thursday, January 13, 2005

It’s the little things in life… OR what’s been on my mind lately…

three reflections:

Thanksgiving: I haven’t been on the computer much since last Thursday (guess that makes it a week). Our provider was down on Friday. So, I just assumed that because it wasn’t up on Saturday that it was still not working (makes sense, right?). And Sundays are such crazy days (a good kind of crazy, right?) that I don’t even turn on the computer. Monday rolls around and our internet service still isn’t up. So I make the dreaded call to the internet provider and I am on hold for 23 minutes. YIKES! Ok. So they will send someone out on Tuesday morning (between 8-10 AM). If it is their fault, we do not get charged. If it is our modem, we will get charged $50 for the guy telling me my modem does not work. I figure that since the lights seem to be working on the modem, it must be their problem. I schedule the appointment. The service tech comes at 8am (right on time) and after hooking up his modem to the cable, he declares that our modem must not be working. UUUGGGHHH! $50 in the hole and now we have to buy a new modem. Last night we bought a new modem and hooked it up to the cable and low and behold, it does not work. So I tell DH that he is going to have to call Comcast because I am tired of this (and anyway, Paul is the computer geek, oh, I mean, guy in the family). This was about 10pm last night. Comcast sends out a tech at 6:50am and he discovers that a squirrel has been chewing on the outside wire. YIPPEEEEE! We do not have to pay the $50 service charge AND we get to return the new modem! Thank you God, because money is pretty scarce around here.

Revolving door: I have a list of questions to ask oneself (it’s from St. Anthony’s Monastery) before going to confession. One of the questions says something about letting your mind wander during services. Does that include letting your feet wander, out the door, with a noisy child? Theophany services ended up being one of those services where ALL the young children were praising God in their own way (hey, I’m trying to be positive). It was like a revolving door with the parents taking children out of church then bringing them into church only to have to take them out of church again. Most of the time, the younger children are pretty well behaved. Oh, there’s the occasional Sunday where it’s Pavlos’ turn to be the loud kid at church, but mostly it seems to be a rotation among the children (as if they called each other up the night before and discussed who would get to be the disruptive one). Every few months it is as if there is something in the air that there will be a service where ALL of the children decide to be the loud kids at church. Do not know what it is (although someone pointed out that maybe it is the evil one because we were all at a feast day service).

Always a bridesmaid, but, oh wait, I have been a bride:) My sister and I are going to be bridesmaids in my brothers wedding. Pretty exciting. My DH, Paul, and her DH, Leo, will be groomsmen (which means we get to walk down the aisle with our respective husbands which works out wonderfully). So the bridesmaids dresses have been picked out. And, they are strapless (but we will be wearing a shawl in the church during the ceremony). Now, my sister and I just don’t do strapless (or, actually, we have never done strapless and aren’t sure if we are ready to do it). My future sister in law told me, though, that if I were to become pregnant (or my sister, for that matter), there is an alternative, non-strapless maternity dress (which means it does have sleeves) that comes in the same color. She told this to me because we lost a baby in August and really, really want another one (God’s plan, not mine, God’s plan, not mine). Now, I feel like I have another reason to get pregnant… the maternity bridesmaid dress. Is that extremely materialistic of me? I don’t know.

Thanks for reading my thoughts...

1 comment:

Karl said...

“Does that include letting your feet wander, out the door, with a noisy child?”

I’ve had to remind Carrie that the days of actually standing through a whole service without having to spend most (or all) of it in the fellowship hall are soon coming to an end!