Monday, November 10, 2008

Being Dad for an Evening... (and meal plan for the week)


Last night I was my mom's date to a fundraiser dinner for Camp Angelos(which I attended as a camper the first year they had the camp and I was a counselor their for a few years, too.. we also have our annual Men's retreat (obviously, I don't attend that) there and we have had our marriage retreat at the lodge... it's a very beautiful, peaceful place to be and I have many wonderful memories from my childhood of this place). Every person present receives a ticket for a drawing. Top prize= $1000. 2nd prize= $500 and then there were various other prizes. A little background- my dad is in Greece and so I went in his place. My dad ALWAYS wins raffles. I don't know why but he is always coming home from fundraisers like this with some sort of prize (even something small like a bottle of wine). He just always wins. And me? The person he took his place at the dinner? I won! I won $500! I couldn't believe it! And what a great time to win some extra cash- right before the holidays when I am trying to budget gifts (even little gifts) for god-children, family, friends- you know, nothing really fancy, just a few nice things. And now I know how I will pay for it AND have some left over (mom made me promise to take $100 and spend it on myself- how does one do that? Spend money on oneself? I'm not sure I remember how!).
Meal Plan: It's the week of the lamb- as in, we received over the weekend the lamb we bought at the monastery fundraiser dinner in September (we are splitting the whole lamb with my parents). Just in time for the fast to begin on Saturday!!! DH is very excited to have lamb this week. So here are our lamb themed meals (I hope I don't have too many leftovers:)
Sunday: ok, no lamb. Leftover lasagna for men, I went to the dinner with my mom:)
Monday: Crock pot lamb shoulder roast cooked with onions, garlic, tomatoes, and wine served with rice (it's a Greek recipe I have adapted for the crock pot).
Tuesday: Gouvroulakia- my all time favorite food!!! Greek meatball soup with potatoes and egg lemon sauce (made with ground lamb) with salad.
Wednesday: Vegetable soup
Thursday: leftovers
Friday: Black beans, salsa, tortillas, etc.
Saturday: We always eat fish on Saturdays so salmon with potatoes and salad
I have to make some Vegan Brownies and Lenten Apple Cake for Sunday- there is going to be a going away get together to say goodbye to Pavlos' nouno and nouna (although I don't think his nouno will be there as he is already in New Jersey) and their children. (nouno=godfather and nouna=godmother BTW).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! Congrats! My mom is like your dad. Maybe .... hmmm ... I should go somewhere she's supposed to go. :-)

Mimi said...

Whohoooooooooo! Awesome!

Maria Verivaki said...

you are a LUCKY woman
although i dont often win monetary prizes, i feel i am lucky in life!
so glad you like my youvarlakia recipe - we love it too!
so many people leaving in your family from what i gather. cooking food for a gathring is heart-warming!
and i love your healthy weekly food plan - it is so good to see an organised cook making sure her family all get to eat a healthy meal