Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Angela's Stir Fry

DH's coworker is Chinese-American.  She grew up in Chinatown in New York.  Anyway, here is her thrown together stiry fry recipe (he tried it at work one day and then wanted me to make it).  Angela actually does not use a recipe so this is what I had to follow:

Angela's Stir Fry
2 pound bag of Miki Noodles (these are wheat based noodles, Gluten Free Spaghetti noodles will work too)

Meat (Sliced Pork, Chicken, and/or Beef, or Shrimp, Anything Goes!)
3 Medium Onions
Baby Bok Choy or Half of a Nappa cabbage
Soy Sauce
Asian Oyster Sauce
Dark Soy Sauce (Optional – This is to give it a dark rich color)
Veggie Oil (I just used sesane oil whenever it called for oil)
Sesame Oil
Couple cloves of garlic
Teaspoon Corn starch
Salt
Freshred Chili Pepper (in oil) - this can be purchased at an asian market- she bought a jar for us:)
Marinate meat with some soy sauce, salt and a little bit of water. After a few minutes, add the cornstarch and mix. Heat stir-fry pan with oil with medium-high heat.  Add garlic and dash of salt and let it brown for a little bit.  Add meat.  Add onion and veggies when meat is almost done cooking.  Remove meat and veggies to another bowl.  Add oil.  Add noodles and a teaspoon of water (The purpose to adding water is to make sure that noodles are separating).  Once the noodles are warm, add back the meat and veggies to the pan.  Add about 2 teaspoons of sesame oil, 1 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoon of oyster sauce, ½ tablespoon of Dark Soy Sauce. Mix and adjust.

Ok- so what I did was marinated shrimp.  Heated stir fry pan with sesame oil. added garlic and salt.  added shrimp.  i used 1 large onion and this is where I added 2 Tbs. of the freshred chili pepper (but this was too much- this is super spicy so you might only need to add 1/2 Tbs. and then adjust- it was so spicy that I could not eat it and DH ate it but said it was spicier than what Angela brought to work).  I also used gluten free spaghetti noodles.  Everything else I followed as it is written.  I did not use dark soy sauce as I do not even know if they make a gluten free dark soy sauce.  I just used my regular gluten free soy sauce.  Oyster Sauce is usually not gluten free but one brand is- so if you need gluten free oyster sauce buy the Wok Mei brand.  They sell it at Whole Foods.

Anyway, there is a lot of this in the fridge (good lunches for DH over the next few days).  I might try this again with less of the chili pepper.  DH loved it!

No comments: